When you think about the term "spa," either one or two images come to mind right away: a steaming, sinfully sweet place to relax in a luxury resort or a hot tub positioned near a pool with a large cover over top of the feature. For the ultimate in creature comfort, you can take your bland, ordinary bathroom and remake it into a wonderful place to relax and unwind, plus up your home's value.
Speaking of ROI, a bathroom remodel is one of the best investments you'll make in your home. A transformed bathroom is worth about 62 percent of what you put into it, provided of course, it's done right. That means striking a broad appeal without making it too customized to your own, unique tastes. In fact, if you do go overboard and make it too personal, you'll have a net loss on the project as potential buyers will see it as an added cost. Which will also cost you more to market the home and it will spend more time listed for sale.
Bathrooms are incredibly diverse areas of a home, though we tend to only think of them for their primary purposes. However, a makeover into a spa reveals a lot more potential, something you'll experience when you take on the project and turn your ordinary bathroom into a luxurious spa.
Bath Remodeling Return versus Kitchen
You might wonder if it's worth the time, effort, and expense of putting money into a bath upgrade rather than a kitchen remodel. That's a good question, and the answer really depends on what you're looking to accomplish most. Certainly, overhauling the kitchen will bring a larger return on investment, or so you think. It's true that a kitchen remodel yields an ROI of nearly 83 percent, which is obviously much more than 62 percent. However, that's for a minor kitchen remodel, go all-out and that return on investment drops significantly.
"Frequent and thorough relaxation is a necessity nowadays when we all rush and run and have very stressful lives. The best way to make that run for work a little bit more pleasant is to spend some time in a spa, as that is just about the most relaxing thing you can do. However, time at spa costs money and time that are precious. Therefore, one of the best things you can do is to make a spa like bathroom at your home." --Realty Times
What might be a bit shocking is that the opposite holds true. If you only make minor changes to a bathroom, you'll get a small return on the money you spend to do so. Take it up a notch and do a complete bath remodel and you'll be ahead by far for recouping a very high percentage of what you spend. This all depends on doing the job right, striking the right balance, and getting a truly enjoyable space anyone would love to use. Bottom line is, this is one of the best upgrade details you can make.
Ways to Transform a Bathroom into a Spa
Okay, let's get to getting the job done and what you'll need to remake your bland bathroom into a luxurious spa. Here are some of the things you'll need to transform your bath into a relaxing, inviting, and sound investment:
- Replace the tub with a whirlpool tub. The cornerstone to any spa is the heated whirlpool bath experience, which is perfect for relaxing and reflecting peacefully. You don't have to spend top dollar, do your research and pick one that's reliable and fits the space easily.
- Resurface your cabinets and vanity. Instead of outright replacing your existing cabinets and vanity, do the next best thing, and spend less by resurfacing those features. Choose a neutral color, one that will be compatible and provide a nice aesthetic in the space.
- Install light dimmers. Light dimmers aren't expensive and very simple to install. Just turn off the breaker to the bathroom and then uninstall the toggle light switches and switch those out for dimmers.
- Go with a cool, relaxing color. Repainting your bath is another way to transform it, and of course, it should be done with neutral, warm, relaxing colors.
- Set the mood with music. You don't have to install an eccentric sound system, just bring in a nice wireless speaker receiver that will fit in the corner and deliver delightful, soothing sounds.
- Install a shower system. A shower system, be it a rain shower or a body spray, is the perfect complement to a spa-centric bath remodel.
Add to your list other essentials, like clean, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, along with scented candles and plenty of oils. While you'll be adding quite a bit, don't forget to keep the counters as clear as possible, go through your toiletries and discard anything that's more than a year old. Organize your grooming and health products neatly in drawers, out of sight to make it look great.